In the meantime, I keep thinking of things to write and never get them down because they are little bitty things, so I'm going to try this - a end-of-week sum up of "interesting events"* that occurred.
[Edited to Add:
* or not. This failed immediately... I wrote this the second week in November, and here we are, third week in December - still not written. Let's publish it anyway, shall we?]
* * *
After the hillside caught fire 1.5 miles from our house on Wednesday morning (70°F, 20% humidity, but thank goodness, dead still) resulting in a 10 acre blaze, I started listening to the El Dorado Co. public safety scanner online (via iPhone) as "background noise".
It has been interesting listening, to say the least. Nothing like hearing a constant stream of other people's problems, big and small, to put your own life into perspective.
Some of my favorite incidents from this week:
- RP [reporting party] says there are 8-10 people going back and forth from Appt. #X to a vehicle. Thinks maybe they are making drug transactions. What makes him suspicious is they are all wearing wigs. [must have been very bad wigs for him to tell, unless they were Ronald McDonald wigs?]
- RP says her daughter was just in a verbal with the renters in the upstairs appt. and they threatened her. RP says she thinks they're dealing in narcotics. [can you say "grudge"?]
- RP says he went for a walk and found his stolen property on a neighbour's property. ["oops"]
There were also mentions of a cow on the shoulder (never did figure out where) and a pair of horses having fun running up and down hw-20.
More sobering were:
- A small boy wandered off from his house and his distraught mother spent what can only have been a horrendous 20 minutes before he turned up on a neighbouring street.
- 15 yr old attempted suicide.
- People banging on other people's doors, screaming in the night.
- And a request to transport a 78-year old, unconscious, man from hospice to a residence "to pass".