Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Update 3 on Jackit







So yesterday after working him for awhile I felt he was ready to have me get on him. I brought my helmet into the arena (just holding it in my hand) and Jack flipped out. I'm not sure what that was about, but he thought it was going to eat him I guess. So, I put the helmet on and worked him on the ground for a bit, got him settled, and was able to get on and off and walk around a little without him getting to excited. He was a little worried if I would touch his butt with my leg when I swung on.

So things are progressing, slowly, but we will get there. He still has quite a few issues that need to be addressed.

I think free feeding him the grass hay would be a great idea if you would like to bring some over for him. I promised my grandkids to take them zip lining on the 22 and I work on the 21 but I will be home the following Sunday or I am home every Mon, Tues or Wed. if any of those days work for you. Let me know, I would love to have you see his progress so far.


It's very thrilling to me to think that Jackit is turning into a useful member of society (as they say about released inmates), and very interesting to hear about him worrying about ropes and helmets. My take is that possibly his confidence has taken a big knock - he has suddenly discovered that there's more to life than eating and harrassing the other horses; that there's a big world out there full of uncertainties. That, or he's just trying it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment