Monday, August 9, 2010

Prepping for Bridgeport

Sunday we took the boys (Fergus, Uno and Eagle) for a 19 mile spin along the Larimer Trail and down French Hill to make sure all their legs were attached, ready for Bridgeport next weekend.

Uno was bad, bad, bad... apparently only being ridden once since NV Moonshine 50/NASTR 75 does not a good pony make. I spent much of the ride squawking to the others to slow down lest I died. At one point I had to get off and lead before he took both of us off the trail - quiverin' I was. Luckily, but the time we got on Larimer (mega drop-offs) he'd stopped trying to kill us both.

Still, he kind of settled down at the end (after we stopped at Ann's for margaritas) and, provided I can get the time off, Cinderella shall be taking the spotted creature to Bridgeport next weekend.

My main dilemma is what to do with his rear feet. His back feet are growing splayed on the outside toe so the boots are gapping a little at the front and I lost the right rear (ripping the gaiter out the back in the process) on Sunday*. At Moonshine I had to resort to some last minute (like, 20 minutes before the start) rasping to try and get a better fit.

*All three pones ended up barefoot in back and did about 14 miles of the ride sans boots - no signs of soreness, though.

This evening, I spent an hour giving him The Perfect Rasp by headlamp for perfect boot fit. It's better than it was, and will be even better still if I can get a pair of PowerStraps to snug it all up before we leave on Friday.

The only other spanner in the works is Uno's right rear is a little puffy this evening (angst). He was pretty stocked up this morning, but I concluded that was from standing all night in front of a slow-feeder-hay net, so today I put him in with Hopi and Fergus so they could chase him around. This evening, filling all gone - except for just above the fetlock on that right rear. I can see a few small knocks and scrapes that could be the culprits, but I'll still keep an eye on it and make sure he's all better by the end of the week.



Roo resumed his rehab rides on Thursday, celebrating by rearing, crowhopping, and kicking out at the dog. Big fun. Not.

Luckily for him, when I rode again on Saturday he was Little Mr Perfect and never put a foot wrong, listening to legs and seat and behaving like an adult. We even attempted the short hill at the end of the road - by tacking up and down it to avoid going straight up.

It's about time that boy started doing normal work again and we'll see how it goes. KnR mentioned that he used to rest his back legs all the time at their place too, so I'm going to stop worrying about it and instead find out what the best stretches for him are. My hamstrings are as tight as tight things, so there's no reason his aren't too.

No comments:

Post a Comment